Sunday, November 5, 2017

The Beautiful People


Over the past few months I’ve been following discussions on Twitter about the need for diversity in books. Not just in kids’ books but across the board stories should reflect society around us. These conversations struck a chord. Done right, these stories will be richer and more appealing. (I touched on diversity before on this blog)

Looking around at my family, friends and coworkers, I see diversity. Not just in appearance, but also in – hidden – disabilities. But in the books on my shelves I find far less diversity, and what I find are often stereotypes or idealized versions; I’m missing the natural, and to me comfortable, blend of peoples.

Digging a little deeper, I find that most of the ‘good’ guys & girls in novels are often described as beautiful, gorgeous, attractive or pretty. Whereas the ‘bad’ guys & girls tend to have their physical flaws described in terms that make it sound like those flaws are part of why they’re the baddies in the story.

Yet, again, looking around me and at the people I hold dear, their physical beauty might not match that of an airbrushed model, but I find them infinitely more beautiful in their lack of perfection. Their life stories, depth of character and individual suffering, have made them truly beautiful in my eyes.

Looking at the books and stories I’ve written so far, I realize I’m guilty of putting beautiful people in them too, though I rarely describe them as such, there is a lack of diversity. Because calling out beauty is such a part of the mainstream entertainment narrative, it crept in unconsciously. Though, admittedly, it’s harder to put diversity into historical fiction – except for Sophia’s clubfoot which was not uncommon to the time and location in book 1 of The Coming Storm - because there was so much less travel and immigration in the times before the jet engine. I hope to add more diversity into the sequel to my – as yet – unpublished WWII trilogy which starts in France and moves to Morocco in book 2 (I'm happy to send the first chapter to you, just ask in the comment section).

This led me to look more carefully at the characters I’m creating to populate my whodunit. My protagonist will now be far more quirky, counting the steps on stairs every time she takes them for example, she will have hair that misbehaves and she won’t have that perfect shape (and let’s face it, the definition of physical perfection changes every decade anyway). Her friends won’t be the token diverse but will reflect the mix of friends I have and will be well developed secondary characters with depth and personality.

Once our books and stories (and TV and film) start truly and naturally mirroring our society, will the cultural narrative around acceptance and inclusion change. Though this year has been very tumultuous politically and socially, it has brought many toxic narratives into the light, forcing us to look at our preconceived notions and prejudices. And, with effort, forcing us to look deeper than the pretty pictures so that we can grow and learn and accept.


Let’s hope publishing is truly ready for the diverse characters the audience wants. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment