Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Holiday Book Boost Number 10



Hi Trudi, Welcome to my blog, I’m happy meet you and introduce you to my readers. Let’s get started.

Title, genre, format (ebook, paperback):
Explorer Academy Book 1: The Nebula Secret, published by National Geographic
middle grade fiction (for ages 8 to 12)
hardcover, e-book, audiobook
Translated into 18 languages, so far

Tell me about your book/story:
In my fact-based fiction series, twelve-year-old Cruz Coronado has been invited to become part of an elite group of young explorers at the prestigious Academy in Washington, D.C. Yet, even before Cruz can leave his tranquil home in Hawaii, an attempt is made on his life. Things only get more complicated, and dangerous, when Cruz arrives in the nation's capital to attend the Academy. Someone wants him dead and it may involve a secret his mom (a scientist) took with her to the grave seven years ago. Cruz and his fellow explorers must travel the globe, following clues and cracking codes to unlock a mystery that could change their world, and ours, forever. Readers should know there are hidden codes and puzzles embedded throughout the book. For me, it was a joy to meet and interview the real explorers of National Geographic, who served as inspiration for much of the science and technology in the series.


What is the one thing you’d like people to know about you (or, what is your secret superpower):
I’m a writer of middle grade fiction because middle school was a tough time for me. I was a brainy, awkward, and shy kid. Young readers tend think we authors just sailed through our tween years, but it isn’t true – at least, it wasn’t for me. So if I can make it a bit easier for a reader, if he/she can find something to identify with in my books, then that’s all the reward I need. And maybe it’s my superpower, too!

And just a few fun questions:
Pen or Computer:
Both! Computer to write, but a pen to scribble down ideas as they come to me.

Best writing snacks:
Ghirardelli big semi-sweet chocolate chips, organic grapes, Kind peanut butter bars!

Craziest thing you’ve done for story research:
In Scab for Treasurer, the third book in the Secrets of a Lab Rat series, the main character, Scab, is vying against the smartest girl in school to be class president. As a publicity stunt to win votes, he promises to eat anything his classmates bring to school. So in order to know what it would feel like for Scab to down some pretty icky things, of course, I had to try them first. I ate stuff like raw pumpkin, ancient fruitcake, and a habanero chili pepper, which is fifty times hotter than a jalapeño!

Where can people find your book/story:
It’s available from your favorite local independent bookstore, Barnes & Noble, IndieBound, Amazon, or at the National Geographic online store.

Any links and/or pictures you want to share:
Head to my website for more details about the series: www.truditrueit.com
Also, check out the Explorer Academy website, where you can read the first chapter of the book, watch a five-minute cartoon short featuring the main characters, see the book trailer, play code breaking games, and learn about the science that inspired the book. You can also enter the Explorer Academy sweepstakes! To help launch the series, National Geographic is giving away an eight-day National Geographic cruise for a family of four through Alaska’s Inside Passage! www.exploreracademy.com

Thank you!
You are so welcome, Lynn. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment