Monday, December 17, 2018

Holiday Book Boost Number 23



 Hi Corinna, Welcome to my blog, I’m happy meet you and introduce you to my readers. Let’s get started.

Title, genre, format (ebook, paperback):
The Soul Room (Psychological thriller with a vein of mystery running through it) – ebook, paperback, audiobook.
Return of the Morrigan (Contemporary psychological thriller with a dash of ancient myth!) -ebook, paperback, audiobook coming soon.
The Call (Contemporary psychological thriller novella) ebook, paperback and audiobook.
Argemourt (Psychological historical thriller set in the current day and WWII)
Tell me about your book/story:
My latest novel, Argemourt has been a really emotional journey for me over the last two years, and some strange synchronicities have happened around it.  I came up with the idea for the story after visiting the martyred village of Oradour-sur-Glane in the Haute Vienne in France.  It is now a national monument and the site of one of the worst Nazi atrocities of the war (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre).  The place haunted me, and a story started to grow inside me; one where a young army widow from the present day, and a PHD student in Paris, through twists of fate, meet 75 years after the massacre in the invented village of Argemourt; scene of a similar atrocity. 
It’s been quite a journey writing the book, with a lot of research required, including meeting and spending time with some army wives in a barracks town in Hampshire, but I’m really proud of how the story has turned out.  I’m trying to get people to think a bit, about what it means to live with humanity; and how we need to be vigilant and give kindness in a world that seems to be becoming more divided every day; but I don’t want it to be ‘preachy’, and hopefully, despite it having some harrowing moments, it is ultimately a story of hope.
In terms of the synchronicities I mentioned earlier; when I approached the Anne Frank Foundation to get permission to use the quote from her diary that opens Michelle’s part of the book; they asked me to mention the date that she wrote it.  I was amazed and unsettled when I saw that not only was it my eldest son’s birth date, but also showed that she wrote it, from her attic, in the very week that the SS Panzer Division das Reich was carrying out its atrocities in villages such as Oradour-sur-Glane.   The second synchronicity was how life started to imitate art; with things happening in Europe in very similar ways to things I had described in the story.  I suppose you could say I was unconsciously picking up on a wider ‘mood’, but it was uncanny to see real life start to mirror my story. 


What is the one thing you’d like people to know about you (or, what is your secret superpower):
I’m an excellent curry cook – a skill I have inherited from my dad, who would spend hours preparing wonderful Indian feasts!  Unfortunately for him, I only ever wanted mild, creamy curries when I was younger, but although he is unfortunately no longer around to enjoy it; I know he would be proud of how I am now pretty much addicted to chili!
And just a few fun questions:
Pen or Computer:
I feel sad when I think that we could lose the art of handwriting because of the growth of computers, but I touch type as fast as I think; so am able to get my stories down much faster than if I had to handwrite them.  And I don’t know what I’d do without the ‘Find and Replace’ option in Word!!
Best writing snacks:
I can crave something sweet in the afternoon, so maybe a nice strong coffee and a decent biscuit.  On occasion, a glass of wine, or at this time of year, a warming Whisky Mac, also oils the creative wheels nicely!
Craziest thing you’ve done for story research:
Hmm, I don’t know about crazy, but the time I spent interviewing the young army wives in their barracks town in Hampshire was both moving and enlightening.  It was important to me that I could tell their story with authenticity, so I really wanted to meet them in person.  Although I hate everything about war and fighting, I was filled with respect for their resilience, and the sacrifices they made to support their husbands and partners.  As the Anne Frank quote says, ‘we mustn’t forget, that women, too, are soldiers.’  Women in war generally just fight in a different way – they fight to look after their families, and to keep things going while their main support is away.  They fight to keep normality for their children when everything around them is completely abnormal. 
Where can people find your book/story:
The ebook of Argemourt is out now on Amazon/Kindle and the paperback is following in the new year.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Argemourt-village-haunted-people-present-ebook/dp/B07KTVTTJ7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543827394&sr=8-1&keywords=Argemourt

Any links and/or pictures you want to share:
Readers can find out more about all my books and find links to buy them via my website.  If they choose to subscribe to my occasional author newsletter they will also get a free ebook of my short story collection, The Ring.  www.corinnaedwards-colledge.co.uk.  I also always like to meet new people via my author page on Facebook:  www.facebook.com/corinnaauthor
Thank you!
And thank you – been lovely chatting to you, have a great Christmas & New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment